*Photo by Marco Clausen

Community 1

Residing in a world that is increasingly specialized. Surrounded by enigma machines. Without knowledge of their inner workings.
Trust is the only option; and hope, hope that the machine is on your side, and when the machine stops. The only thing that glows in the dark is the error message.
A vessel for exploring gaps in regulations, conventions and economy.

A vessel for exploring gaps in regulations, conventions and economy. The cost of renting a room in Tromsø had grown to a point where I thought to myself – I´d rather live in a tent. This happened a year ago. Since then I have been constructing the vessel7, and living where anyone could spare a sofa or a mattress.

The floating shelter is a prototype, a 1:1 more or less functional structure. It still to see how it could perform. As a boat compared with existing boat, the Dependence 1 is a strange bird. Had it been a animal it would have been put on the red list of endangered species. A fragile being with a very small niche in the ecosystem.

Facts so far/ The floating frame is 4200mm wide x 4350mm long x 920mm high. Its made of galvanized steel, fibreglass and polymer, polyurethane foam and industrial plastic barrels.

The deck is still in process and will be made of polyurethane foam and plywood.

The shelter part is a circular lattice structure. I beams in the roof, directs the force from a top compression ring to the lattice walls, helped by two compression band encircling the whole structure. The structure has a two layer skin, the inner one made of felted wool, and the outer one of synthetic fibre canvas covered with silicon. Dimensions: 4000mm in diameter and hight from 1800mm to around 2400mm. The structure is builded after a yurt tutorial found online, some modifications have been done.

Propulsion, heating, toilette system, cooking facilities, storm proofing, and other living necessities are still under development.

The floating shelter is made from 30% new materials and the remaining 70% is available/recycled/gift material. In total, approx. 665kg of material.

by Kåre Grundvåg, May 2013





Photo by Marco Clausen




Photo by Marco Clausen





Photo by Marco Clausen


« back to Göteborg – Tromsø – A City as a Garden